Do you want to create a free blog on BlogSpot and make some money? Well, you can do it in less than 10 minutes. The best part is that it does not involve spending a single penny. WordPress and Blogger are two popular platforms in the market. If you want a fully professional blog setup, then you have to go for a self-hosted WordPress site. BlogSpot is meant for hobbyist bloggers whose sole aim is to reach out to the world with their ideas rather than being a professional blogger.
If you do not belong to this category, don’t worry. I have you covered. In this website, I have created several posts explaining concepts right from choosing your blogging platform to set up a professional blog. Go through these tutorials and learn how to set up a professional blog.
Blogger vs BlogSpot
Most novice bloggers are confused regarding Blogger and BlogSpot. Let me explain this before proceeding further.
Every blog requires a publishing platform and a domain or subdomain to provide it an address. Blogger is the publishing platform for the blogs while BlogSpot is the domain name provider. Both of these are owned by Google. In fact, if we try to reach the BlogSpot domain address we get redirected to the Blogger website.
Let us see a few pros and cons of the BlogSpot platform.
- It is free.
- The setup is simple and does not need any technical expertise.
- It has earning potential.
- You do not get a domain, instead, your address would be www.yourdomain.blogspot.com. This is not suitable for professional blogging. For professional blogs, it should be www.yourdomain.com.
- You do not own the content. Your content is owned and hosted by Google.
- The earning potential is limited. Google AdSense is not highly lucrative as compared to affiliate marketing.
- You have limited customization options.
Now that have seen the pros and cons let us get started with the setup.
Sign Up for Blogger
The first step is to go to Blogger and sign up using your Gmail address. As Google owns the Blogger platform, you can only use the Gmail account to sign up for Blogger. If you don’t have one just sign up for Gmail before proceeding to Blogger.
On the next page select a title for your blog.
Now you have to provide an address for your blog. Here you have to understand one thing. You will only get a subdomain ending with blogspot.com. The choice you have is to provide the starting part of the subdomain address.
Then you have to provide the Display name and click the Finish button.
Congrats!. You have completed your blog setup. You can now view the Blogger dashboard.
This section has all the options for creating new posts, pages, blog customization, etc.
Optimizing your blog
The first thing to do after signing up for a Blogger account is selecting the theme. Themes provide the visual appearance to your blog. There are several available options within the Theme section of the dashboard.
Just browse through the options and have a look at the preview by clicking the Preview button.
Once you choose the theme, you can use the Customize option to adjust the font, color, layout, etc.
Finally, click the Apply button to save the changes and set the theme for your blog.
Creating your first Blogger post
Let us now create our first post. For this go to the Posts section in the dashboard. Provide a suitable title for your post and start typing your content. The content editor section has several options for formatting the text such as selecting font size, font family, spacing, etc. You can also add images to your blog posts to improve visual appearance.
You also have options to change the URL structure of your post. For this go the Permalink option on the right panel and select Custom Permalink. Here enter your desired format. It is better to add words separated by hyphens for better SEO.
After completing the required formatting, you can click the Preview icon to see a preview. If you are satisfied with your appearance, click the Publish icon to complete the process. Now your blog post is published and is available on the internet for the entire world.
The dashboard will list the details of your published blog and you have options to edit and delete the content.
I strongly recommend creating an About Us page so that the readers get to know you better. For this go to the Pages section from the dashboard. Here you can add the content and title and publish it.
Making Money with Google AdSense
Go to the earnings section from your dashboard.
You can see a message that your blog does not qualify for AdSense, disappointing isn’t? Well, there is no need to worry. Google has set some standards for being an AdSense partner. We have to make our blog authentic and content-rich before applying for AdSense. Below are a few tips to improve our blog quality.
- Your blog should be at least 6 months old if you are from India, Nepal, China, and Sri Lanka. This is done to keep away spammy bloggers who keep pushing content for shorter durations.
- Write original content. Google can easily identify plagiarism and will surely flag your blog.
- Add images to your posts.
- Write at least 25-30 blogs before applying for AdSense.
- Write lengthy posts above 600 words.
- Publish content regularly. If you have 10 posts in hand, do not publish them all together. Keep a schedule and publish it at regular intervals.
- Add the About Us page to let the readers know about your identity.
Signing Up for AdSense
You have to consider two important points here.
- You have to sign up for AdSense separately. Blogger is just one blogging platform that allows integrating Google AdSense.You can do this only if you have a valid AdSense account.
- You have to link your AdSense account to your Blogger profile. This will enable Google to display ads on your Blogger website.
You can sign up for AdSense from the Blogger platform itself or do it separately. Here I will sign up separately for Blogger as I do not have AdSense enabled for this demo blog that is set up now.
Go to AdSense Sign up page and click the SIGN UP NOW button.
Sign up using your Gmail account. You have to fill information including website address, contact email, address, etc.
Finally, you have to provide some payment information also. This includes your tax identification number or anything else that is applicable as per your region. Always provide the correct information as Adsense payments are subject to local tax laws.
Once you fill in all the details and complete the AdSense account set up, you can click the Show code option to get the below code snippet from the AdSense portal.
Remember, at this point your AdSense account is not active. Google will take 2-3 days to provide approval. In the meantime, you can add the code to your website.
Linking AdSense to Blogger
If Google finds us eligible for the AdSense option, the earnings tab will be as shown below.
Here you can link your AdSense account to your Blogger profile. You can also configure your AdSense display settings.
You can add AdSense to your blog as Widgets. For this go to the Layout section and select the Add a Gadget option.
The first listing will be the AdSense widget. Select this option and add your previously copied code snippet to the content area and save the changes.
You have to later login to your AdSense dashboard and check if your application is approved.
Until the approval, Google will display ads about Google products and public announcements which will not give any earnings.
AdSense Fair Usage Policy
Google has very strict guidelines for fair usage of AdSense ads on our website. If we are found in violation of any of these policies Google will temporarily block our account or may even ban us permanently. Here are few tips not to get your AdSense account banned.
- Do not ask your friends or visitors to click on AdSense units. The click should be a natural response from the user if they find the ad interesting.
- Never modify the AdSense code snippet in any way.
- AdSense is only supported in selected languages. Always check the compliance if you are running a non-English blog.
- Do not use Adsense on a website promoting copyright violation.
- Do not email AdSense advertisements in any form.
So we have learned how to create a free Blogspot blog and earn money from AdSense.If you have any questions or clarifications regarding the content, get in touch with me via the comments.