Facebook is the largest social media platform in the world with more than 2 billion active users. As we might have already seen in the movie “The Social Network”, Facebook had its simple origin in the dorm rooms of Harvard University back in 2004. This idea of Mark Zuckerberg is now the worlds most powerful social media platform with a market value of about $350 billion. Let us see some silly facts about Facebook that are really amazing.
1) Facebook underwent a major homepage revamp back in 2007. Before this, the home page of Facebook pictured a face that was obscured behind a stream of binary digits. It was later revealed that this face was that of the famous American actor Al Pacino.
In his book the “The Facebook Effect“, David Kirkpatrick has revealed that this photo was created by Andrew McCollum who also happens to be the co-founder of Facebook.
2) Mark Zuckerberg is red-green color blind and it might be the reason why Facebook’s primary color scheme is blue.[Source]
3) Facebook was originally called “The Facebook” and was available only to Harvard University students. It was on August 2005 that the domain facebook.com was purchased for $200,000.[Source]
4)There are nearly 20,000 people active on Facebook every second.[Source]
5) Nearly 400 new people sign up for Facebook every minute in spite of the fact that nearly 22% of the world’s population are already Facebook users. [Source]
6) Facebook supports more than 110 languages.[Source ]
7) Facebook has more than 1.49 billion daily active users which means that about 17% of the world’s population visits Facebook daily. [Source]
8) A single minute of outage costs Facebook more than $100,000.This is a rough figure drawn from the estimate that per quarter revenue of Facebook is about $13.7 billion.[Source]
9) Brian Acton the co-founder of Whatsapp was rejected by Facebook in 2009.
Later in 2014 Facebook acquired Whatsapp for $22 billion, making Brian the 6th richest person in the USA.[Source]
Image Credit: BBC News
Image Credit: Coca Cola
13) Facebook originally had a bug which prevented others from blocking Zuckerberg.[Source]
14) We can poke our friends or friends of friends on facebook.
But even Facebook doesn’t explain the official purpose of this feature.[Source]
15) Wirehog was a peer to peer file sharing feature that was hooked up to Facebook in its early days. It existed until early 2006 and was discontinued mainly due to privacy concerns.
Image Credit: Wikipedia
16) Facebook is banned in many countries including China that comprise more than 18% of the world population. [Source]
17) Although Facebook does not disclose the actual number of servers that keep the giant up and running it is estimated that the figures might be in the range of hundred thousand.
Back in 2009 itself, the company had an armada of 60,000 servers.[Source]
If you know of any other interesting facts about Facebook do let me know via comments.